This is actually a family recipe – I grew up eating this salad. It didn’t occur to me until the other day how very good the recipe was, however. No hydrogenated oils, lots of good protein, garlic, and lemon. All real, whole foods.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (preferably first cold pressed)
- juice of one lemon
- 2+ cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tin (2 oz.) wild-caught anchovy filets, mashed with the back of a fork
- generous grinding of black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional – makes the texture more “creamy”)
- couple drops of worchestershire sauce (optional – and if you do use it, get an organic version without HFCS)
1. Mix all ingredients well, and pour over fresh romaine lettuce.
Note: This salad is worth trying even for all you anchovy haters out there. The blend of flavors is truly amazing – you can’t pick out the anchovy taste alone. My friends who won’t touch anchovies under normal circumstance all can’t get enough of this dressing!